S.H.A.P.E. THE GREEN WAVE is the umbrella program of The Tri-County (AL) Chapter of The Links, Incorporated. The program takes place every Wednesday throughout the school year with students at our partner school, Leeds High School of Alabama. Upon completion of the program, students will be in their best S.H.A.P.E. by:
• increased social awareness of issues facing society
• develop habits of high academic performance and achievements
• develop awareness of various art forms
• increased awareness of physical activity and body mass index (BMI)
• develop skills to adapt to current and future economic trends
Each module of the program corresponds with the facets of The Links, Incorporated:
1. International Trends and Services
Socially – Students will become socially aware of and meet challenges of a complex global society.
The objective of this aspect of the program is to increase awareness of international events, affairs and issues through involvement in global observances and discussions. Information to be shared includes:
• Students will learn about international issues related to the political, economic and cultural matters involving various countries
• Differences and similarities with the United States and various other countries
2. National Trends and Services
Habitually – Students will develop a habit of making the honor roll and serve as peer mentors.
The objective of this aspect of the Program is to address educational issues as a basis for attaining and/or maintaining positive self-esteem, to help youths develop good decision-making skills and to increase the literacy rate among youth. These learning experiences will include the following:
• Students in the ninth grade will be encouraged to make the honor roll and be tracked through twelfth grade
• By the end of a student’s senior year, the student will make the honor roll, the majority of the time
• Students’ academic progress will be measured on a quarterly basis
• Students will be given recognition at student assemblies
• Students will utilize peer mentoring to reach goals
• Students will receive information on the use of social networks
3. The Arts
Artistically – Students will develop an awareness of the various forms of arts.
The objective of this aspect of the Program is to enhance the knowledge and appreciation of youth for the fine arts and to create greater opportunities for exposure to and experience in the various forms of art. Learning experiences will include the following:
• Students will participate in classes and workshops with hands-on learning experiences from local artists.
• Students will utilize peer mentoring to cultivate an appreciation of classical art.
• Exemplary student artists will be identified and opportunities created to have their talents displayed.
4. Health and Human Services
Physically – Students will be educated on causes and effects of obesity and become physically active to reduce their Body Mass Index (BMI).
The objective of this aspect of the Program is to address the underlying causes of childhood obesity among African-American children through education, training, weight management, peer socialization, mentoring and family involvement. The learning experience will include the following:
• Students will participate in activities that promote healthy physical and mental lifestyles (physical exercises, food logs, relaxation techniques).
• Students’ BMI levels will be attained and reduced to a level less than 95%.
• Students will utilize peer mentoring to reach goals.
5. Services to Youth
Economically – Students will be able to adapt economically in society by applying the terms of budgeting, banking, credit, savings and investments. They will also open and/or maintain a checking and/or savings account.
The objective of this aspect of the Program is to provide assistance in resolving or alleviating economic, political and social issues that impact humankind. Information to be shared includes the following:
• Students will be able to apply the terms of budgeting, banking, credit, savings and investments.
• Students will open and/or maintain a savings and/or checking account.
• Students will receive monetary incentives for reaching goals.